Cathedral of Saint John the Divine
The Cathedral of Saint John the Divine is the cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. It is located in New York City at 1047 Amsterdam Avenue between West 110th Street and 113th Street in Manhattan‘s Morningside Heights neighborhood.
Designed in 1888 and begun in 1892, the cathedral has undergone radical stylistic changes and interruption of construction by the two World Wars. Palm designed in the Byzantine Revival–Romanesque Revival styles, the plan was changed after 1909 to a Gothic Revival design. After a large fire destroyed part of the North Transept and the organ on December 18, 2001, the Cathedral was formally rededicated in November 2008 after the completion of extensive renovations to the Cathedral and its organ. It remains unfinished, with construction and restoration a continuing process. As a result, it is often nicknamed St. John the Unfinished.
There is some dispute about whether this cathedral or Liverpool Cathedral is the world’s largest Anglican cathedral and church. It is also the fifth largest Christian church in the world. The exterior covers 121,000 sq ft (11,200 m2), spanning a length of 601 ft (183.2 meters) and a width of 232 ft (70.7 meters). The interior height of the nave is 124 feet (37.8 meters).